Thursday, September 17, 2015

Sweet Simple Things

It was one of those weeks... a weather change week, a 3-day migraine week. I know better. My migraine trigger is orange juice. I had some. It was a silly thing to do. Somehow I still managed to make some simple little things though.

To start the week off, I made two more necklaces with those resin-filled heart components I finished two weeks ago:


This one has bachelor button and marigold petals...






...and this one has bachelor button and California poppy petals.



 Next I made these simple fragrant lavender melt & pour soaps, in my handmade molds:




I used a white shea butter melt-and-pour base. It's super easy to use.
The faint purple color is from purple Brazilian clay from brambleberry.com. 

Here's the recipe for this one:
Rustic Melt & Pour Lavender Soap:

2 lbs white melt-and-pour soap base. (I used Bramble Berry's shea butter base.)
1 Tablespoon purple Brazillian clay
5 Tablespoons lavender oil for strongly scented soap 
- or
2 Tablespoons lavender oil for milder scented soap
2 teaspoons coconut oil

In addition, you will need:

A microwave-safe container with a pour spout.
Measuring spoons 
A long-handled plastic spoon for stirring
Soap molds or a clean rectangular milk cartons
A knife 
Olive oil spray


Spray your molds with olive oil spray. Cut the base into 1/2-inch cubes. Put into a microwave safe bowl with a pour spout. Microwave in 10-second bursts until the base is completely melted. Add the lavender and coconut oils. Stir in the clay. Stir until all the clay appears to be dissolved. Pour into soap molds or a milk carton. Allow to harden. (I cheat and put mine in the freezer for an hour.)Unmold and trim with a sharp knife, if necessary. 

For a less rustic look, suspend your clay in 1 Tablespoon of rubbing alcohol, mixing them together well before adding them to the hot soap base mixture. This will help prevent the clay from settling into the faces of the molds.




Next I made these simple vintage assemblage bracelets:



"Pain, Protection, and Pride"
Repurposed thistle pin. Black rosary chain, 





"Was Always You"
Vintage brass stamping. Vintage pearls.





"Interior Truths of Faith"
Vintage copper finding. Handmade pearl chain, Vintage bar chain, Vintage charms, 





"Flight Of Prayer"
Vintage Pegasus stamping. Vintage chain.





Here's what I am photographing these bracelets on.







"Speak Softly"
Vintage brass religious medallion. Vintage pink doll button. Vintage chain.





"The Symbols Remain"
Vintage cross. Vintage beads. Vintage religious medallion.





Here's a better shot of the vintage chain I used for the cross bracelet.





"Aristaeus" (The Greek God Of Beekeeping)
Vintage chain. Vintage bee charm. Greek Flourish.





"Tears Of Ra"
Vintage Bee Charms. Vintage chain. Vintage flower charm.





Here's another view of the same bracelet. 





"By Candlelight"
Antique brass pattern sheet. Vintage shell charm. Vintage chain.





"The New Alchemy"
Vintage belt piece. Vintage earrings. Vintage chain.





Clasp view.







 I love making these multi-strand bracelets. It's the the perfect thing to do on a rainy afternoon. Like soapmaking, I find the process both addictive and meditative.



I have some experiments planned for next week. Wish me luck! Until then, leaving you with this quote:

"I am beginning to see that it is the sweet, simple things of life that are the real ones after all."
-Laura Ingalls Wilder 





1 comment:

  1. I love them all but I think Flight of Prayer is my favorite. Love your photo props!

    ReplyDelete