Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Sea Urchin Spine Necklace



Last week my friend Brooke Bock, of Artistic Endeavors 101, sent me a wonderful gift... a box of beautiful handmade polymer clay beads. Opening the package was like opening a treasure chest, brimming with beautiful baubles. Her polymer clay beads have a fabulous finish, with the look and feel of porcelain. Her thoughtful gift was the inspiration for this necklace.

Brooke made the focal bead and the 5 supporting disc beads on the lower left. As soon as I saw them I knew what I wanted to make.

I had been saving the sea urchin spine for years. It was not drilled, and I wasn't sure how to approach that task. I decided to use my drill press. At first I worried that the delicate spine would shatter, so I approached the task very carefully. It turns out that drilling holes in sea urchin spines is a fairly easy process, much like drilling wood or metal. Going slowly is the key.




To complete the necklace I used faceted quartz beads, in a pinkish brown color, and a handful of vintage African horn beads, rescued from a thrift store. I used 20 gauge black annealed steel wire from Susan Lenart Kasmer's wire collection to make the bead connectors and clasp. The wire can be purchased here:


Brooke sells her lovely beads in her etsy shop:


I am excited about incorporating more of Brooke's inspiring beads into my designs. 

Until next time!

Leaving you with this quote:
"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one' - C.S. Lewis





2 comments:

  1. You never fail to amaze me me with your creativity and eye for design. This is fabulous.... I am honored to be a part of it.The colors are gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melinda,
    I just thought I would pop in a tell you how much I enjoyed your article in Stampingfon's latest Greencraft Magazine on making bracelets, so charming and FUN!
    Your creativity is inspiring!
    Thank you for sharing,
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete